Monday 3 January 2011

Who is Jesus Christ?

 

In a hot debate with a group of hostile religious leaders Jesus said, “Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day; and he saw it, and was glad” (John 8:56).
In their rush to react in emotional excitement they weren’t paying attention to what Jesus said so they concluded, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” (v. 57).
In response to their question Jesus made one of the most profound statements about His deity. “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I AM” (v. 58).
Who is this man? Is He God? Who is this “I AM”? Who is Jesus Christ?
Make no mistake Jesus was claiming to have existed before the Jewish patriarch Abraham was born. He was claiming an eternal pre-existence—“Before Abraham was born, I am.”
When Jesus used the name “I AM” He was actually using the divine name by which the God of Israel had revealed Himself to Moses at the burning bush (Exodus 3:13-14). God revealed Himself to Moses as “I am who I am.” “I AM” is the name for God that Jesus takes to Himself. With this name for deity He claimed to be Yahweh which is the very word for Jehovah or LORD.
The Jews listening to Jesus immediately recognized His claim to be God. The Jewish leaders knew what Jesus was saying. They clearly understood His speech. Because they were so inferiorities, they picked up stones to kill Him for blasphemy.
This was not the only time Jesus directly or indirectly claimed to be God’s equal.

http://www.abideinchrist.com/selah/jan2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment